Wednesday, August 26th

Wednesday, August 26th

"Fruitfulness coming forth from a close relationship with God is at the heart of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ." This is the "core" understanding that forms the basis for all involvement with Scripture. In addition there are three key perspectives concerning the nature of God's Word that help us to interact with Scripture in such a way that God is able to move in our lives so that fruit comes forth from our relationship with Him. We are considering three questions to help us gain these all important perspectives. Monday we considered the question, "God's Word: Means or End?" to help us gain our first needed perspective Yesterday, we considered the question, "God's Word: Content or Change?" to help us gain our second needed perspective (It would be helpful to go back and review both of them). Today we consider the question, "God's Word: Obligations or Descriptions?" to help us gain the third needed perspective

REMEMBER: the SPECS acronym from Sunday's message helps us see the Scriptural applications we are being called to respond to and live out in our daily lives. If you scroll down to the Sunday Devotional spot you will see an overview of the "Deep Six Study" and the "Daily Devotional." Just after this (for this week) you will find an overview of the SPECS acronym. We encourage you to use the Scripture passages in Today's Devotional materials as an opportunity for trying out the SPECS approach to applying and living out God's Word.

GOD’S  WORD: OBLIGATIONS OR DESCRIPTIONS

The third perspective about God's Word that helps us interact with Scripture in a more complete way, concerns the central place given to Christ in Scripture. He is very much the primary subject of Scripture. However, the Scriptures were written not only about Christ, but for Him. What distinction is being made here? Perhaps the following illustration will show what needs to be seen in this regard.

You've just boarded a jumbo jet. You find your seat and on it is a manual entitled,
"Jumbo Jet Pilots." You sit down and thumb through it.  You stop in several places and note many references to the pilot. You say to yourself, "Certainly, a lot of this manual is about the Pilot," but upon completing your look through the manual, you also say to yourself, "It is most certainly a manual for the pilot as well." And then you make sure it finds its way back to him.

The Bible is not only a book about Jesus Christ, but it is a book for Him as well. In what sense is it a book for Jesus Christ?  If someone were to ask you, "Who's in charge of your life?, who's in control?, who's the pilot?, you probably would not say that you are but that Jesus is. If Jesus is the pilot of your life, and the Bible is a book about piloting lives, then in a very real sense the Bible is not written for you, but for the Pilot.

In other words, it isn't written to instruct you on how to live your life but to describe for you how Jesus Christ will live His life in you and through you. Therefore, when you interact with Scripture, don't look at the instructions it gives for your life as obligations for you to fulfill, but rather as descriptions of the life Christ will produce in and through you as you yield yourself to Him, your pilot.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Galatians 2:20

Lord, I know I have a life to live but I also know that the life I live must be your doing. Show me more and more what this means and help it to come about more fully and completely than ever before. Rescue me from the trap of seeing Scripture as obligations meant for me and deliver me from the impossible task of trying to fulfill them. Amen!


7 comments (Add your own)

1. Ellcife wrote:
Viagra Price Hong Kong canadian pharmacy cialis Cialis Buen Precio Generic Free Shipping Provera Find In Internet Shipped Ups

Sun, June 10, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

2. wrote:
Wow! After all I got a website from where I can in fact obtain useful information regarding my study
and knowledge.

Sat, October 6, 2018 @ 11:39 AM

3. wrote:
Ahaa, its fastidious dialogue on the topic of this piece of writing
at this place at this website, I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.

Wed, October 10, 2018 @ 2:22 AM

4. wrote:
Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Sun, October 21, 2018 @ 1:17 PM

5. wrote:
It's in fact very complex in this busy life to listen news on TV, thus I only use world wide web for that reason,
and obtain the most recent information.

Tue, November 13, 2018 @ 11:31 AM

6. wrote:
Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.

Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out
pretty quick. I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any
ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Fri, November 16, 2018 @ 12:15 PM

7. wrote:
Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my
iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.

I'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..

I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good site!

Sat, November 17, 2018 @ 7:49 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.